Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to apartheid: Nelson Mandela
1. An official policy of racial segregation formerly practiced in the Republic of South Africa, involving political, legal, and economic discrimination against nonwhites.
2. A policy or practice of separating or segregating groups.
3. The condition of being separated from others; segregation.
[Afrikaans : Dutch apart, separate (from French à part, apart; see apart) + Dutch -heid, -hood.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (in South Africa) the official government policy of racial segregation; officially renounced in 1992
[C20: Afrikaans, from apart apart + -heid -hood]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
a•part•heid(əˈpɑrt heɪt, -haɪt)
1. (in the Republic of South Africa) a former rigid policy of segregation of the nonwhite population.
2. any system or practice that separates people according to race, caste, etc.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
apartheid- From Dutch apart, "separate," and -heid, "-hood," it is pronounced uh-PAHR-tayt or uh-PAHR-tight.
See also related terms for hood.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
the policy of strict racial segregation and political and economic discrimination against non-whites practiced in the Republic of South Africa.See also: Race
the policy of strict racial segregation and political and economie discrimination against non-whites practiced in the Republic of South Africa.See also: Government
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. An Afrikaans word meaning the state of being apart, used to mean the government policy of racial segregation formerly practiced by South Africa.
2. An Afrikaans word, meaning state of being apart, used for the Afrikaner doctrine of racial segregation which made people of mixed race or African descent into second-class citizens, restricted geographically, educationally, socially, and professionally.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||apartheid - a social policy or racial segregation involving political and economic and legal discrimination against people who are not Whites; the former official policy in South Africa|
social policy - a policy of for dealing with social issues
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
apartheid[əˈpɑːteɪt] N → apartheid m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
apartheid[əˈpɑːrthaɪt] n → apartheid m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Apartheid f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
apartheid[əˈpɑːteɪt] n → apartheid m
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995