Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Any of various tailless Old World primates of the superfamily Hominoidea, including the gibbons, orangutans, gorillas, chimpanzees, and humans.
2. Any of various members of this superfamily bearing fur and usually living in the wild, especially orangutans, gorillas, and chimpanzees, in contrast to humans. Not in scientific use.
3. A tailed primate such as a monkey. Not in scientific use.
4. A mimic or imitator.
5. Informal A clumsy or boorish person.
tr.v. aped, ap·ing, apesIdiom:
To imitate or mimic, especially in a thoughtless or inept way. See Synonyms at imitate.
go ape Informal
To become wildly excited or angry: went ape at the party; went ape when she saw the parking ticket.
[Middle English, from Old English apa.]
1. (Zoology) any of various primates, esp those of the family Pongidae, in which the tail is very short or absent. See anthropoid ape See also great ape
2. (Animals) any of various primates, esp those of the family Pongidae, in which the tail is very short or absent. See anthropoid ape See also great ape
3. (Animals) (not in technical use) any monkey
4. an imitator; mimic
5. informal US a coarse, clumsy, or rude person
(tr) to imitate
[Old English apa; related to Old Saxon ape, Old Norse api, Old High German affo]
n., v. aped, ap•ing. n.
1. any of a group of anthropoid primates characterized by long arms, a broad chest, and the absence of a tail, comprising the great apes and lesser apes.
2. (loosely) any monkey.
3. an imitator; mimic.
4. a large, clumsy, or coarse person.v.t.
5. to imitate; mimic.Idioms:
1. go ape, Slang. to become violently emotional.
2. go ape over, to be extremely enthusiastic about.
[before 900; Middle English; Old English apa, c. Old Saxon apo, Old High German affo, Old Norse api]
Any of various large, tailless primates having long arms and broad chests. Apes include the chimpanzee, gorilla, and orangutan. They live in the wild only in the Eastern Hemisphere. Compare monkey.
Past participle: aped
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||ape - any of various primates with short tails or no tail at all|
primate - any placental mammal of the order Primates; has good eyesight and flexible hands and feet
anthropoid ape - any tailless ape of the families Pongidae and Hylobatidae
|2.||ape - someone who copies the words or behavior of another|
individual, mortal, person, somebody, someone, soul - a human being; "there was too much for one person to do"
parrot - a copycat who does not understand the words or acts being imitated
|3.||ape - person who resembles a nonhuman primate|
misfit - someone unable to adapt to their circumstances
|Verb||1.||ape - imitate uncritically and in every aspect; "Her little brother apes her behavior"|
imitate - appear like, as in behavior or appearance; "Life imitate art"
|2.||ape - represent in or produce a caricature of; "The drawing caricatured the President"|
mock - imitate with mockery and derision; "The children mocked their handicapped classmate"
verb imitate, copy, mirror, echo, mock, parrot, mimic, parody, caricature, affect, counterfeit These films merely ape Hollywood.
go ape be furious, storm, rage, rave, blow up (informal), fume, be angry, lose it (informal), fret, seethe, crack up (informal), see red (informal), chafe, lose the plot (informal), go ballistic (slang, chiefly U.S.), rant and rave, foam at the mouth, lose your temper, blow a fuse (slang, chiefly U.S.), fly off the handle (informal), be incandescent, go off the deep end (informal), throw a fit (informal), go up the wall (slang), blow your top, lose your rag (slang), be beside yourself, flip your lid (slang) When he found out, he went ape.
collective noun shrewdness
collective noun shrewdness
a large monkey with little or no tail. aap قِرْد маймуна macaco opice der Menschenaffe abe πίθηκοςmono (inim)ahv بوزینه apina singeקוף कपि čovjekoliki majmun emberszabású majom kera (tanpa ekor), monyet api scimmia 猿 꼬리 없는 원숭이 žmogbeždžionė, beždžionė pērtiķis mawas aapapemałpa بیزو macaco maimuţă обезьяна opica (veľká, bez chvosta) (velika) opica (čovekoliki) majmun apa ลิงไม่มีหาง maymun 猿猴 людиноподібна мавпа نقل کرنے والا بندر khỉ không đuôi 无尾猴，类人猿