apo-(redirected from aph-)
Also found in: Medical, Encyclopedia.
a. Away from; off: aphelion.
b. Separate: apocarpous.
2. Without; not: apogamy.
3. Related to; derived from: apomorphine.
4. Metasomatic: apophyllite.
1. away from; off: apogee.
2. indicating separation of: apocarpous.
3. indicating a lack or absence of: apogamy.
4. indicating derivation from or relationship to: apomorphine.
[from Greek apo away, off]
an active volcano in the S Philippines, on S Mindanao: highest peak in the Philippines. 9690 ft. (2954 m).
a prefix occurring orig. in loanwords from Greek, with the sense “away, off, apart” (apogee; apocope); in English and New Latin, marking things that are detached, separate, or derivative (apoenzyme).Compare ap-2.
[< Greek, prefixal use of apó; akin to off]
Army & Air Force Post Office.