fenestration(redirected from apical fenestration)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. The design and placement of windows in a building.
2. An opening in the surface of a structure, as in a membrane.
3. The surgical creation of an artificial opening in a bone, as in the inner ear so as to improve or restore hearing.
1. (Architecture) the arrangement and design of windows in a building
2. (Surgery) a surgical operation to restore hearing by making an artificial opening into the labyrinth of the ear
fen•es•tra•tion(ˌfɛn əˈstreɪ ʃən)
1. the design and disposition of windows and other exterior openings of a building.
a. an opening or perforation in an anatomical structure.
b. surgery to effect such an opening.
c. the creation of an artificial opening into the labyrinth of the ear to restore hearing loss from otosclerosis.
A surgical method of making a hole in or perforating something.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fenestration - the arrangement of windows in a building|
placement, arrangement - the spatial property of the way in which something is placed; "the arrangement of the furniture"; "the placement of the chairs"
architecture - the discipline dealing with the principles of design and construction and ornamentation of fine buildings; "architecture and eloquence are mixed arts whose end is sometimes beauty and sometimes use"
|2.||fenestration - surgical procedure that creates a new fenestra to the cochlea in order to restore hearing lost because of osteosclerosis|
surgical operation, surgical procedure, surgical process, surgery, operation - a medical procedure involving an incision with instruments; performed to repair damage or arrest disease in a living body; "they will schedule the operation as soon as an operating room is available"; "he died while undergoing surgery"
otology - the branch of medicine concerned with the ear
fenestration[ˌfenɪsˈtreɪʃən] N (Tech) → ventanaje m
(Archit) → Fensteranordnung f
(Med) → Fensterungsoperation f
1. creación de una abertura en el laberinto del oído para restaurar la audición;
2. acto de perforar.