apical(redirected from apical fiber)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to apical fiber: Gingival fibers, transseptal fibers, oblique fibers, periodontal ligament fibers
1. Of, relating to, located at, or constituting an apex.
2. Linguistics Of, relating to, or articulated with the tip of the tongue, as (t), (d), and (s).
[From Latin apex, apic-, top.]
1. of, at, or being the apex
2. (Phonetics & Phonology) of or denoting a consonant articulated with the tip of the tongue, such as (t) or (d)
[C19: from New Latin apicālis, from Latin: apex]
a•pi•cal(ˈeɪ pɪ kəl, ˈæp ɪ-)
1. of, at, or forming the apex.
2. (of a speech sound) articulated principally with the tip of the tongue, as (t) or (d).
[1820–30; < Latin apic-, s. of apex apex]