apical(redirected from apically)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. Of, relating to, located at, or constituting an apex.
2. Linguistics Of, relating to, or articulated with the tip of the tongue, as (t), (d), and (s).
[From Latin apex, apic-, top.]
1. of, at, or being the apex
2. (Phonetics & Phonology) of or denoting a consonant articulated with the tip of the tongue, such as (t) or (d)
[C19: from New Latin apicālis, from Latin: apex]
a•pi•cal(ˈeɪ pɪ kəl, ˈæp ɪ-)
1. of, at, or forming the apex.
2. (of a speech sound) articulated principally with the tip of the tongue, as (t) or (d).
[1820–30; < Latin apic-, s. of apex apex]