apperception(redirected from apperceptions)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to apperceptions: apperceive
1. Conscious perception with full awareness.
2. The process of understanding by which newly observed qualities of an object are related to past experience.
[New Latin apperceptiō, apperceptiōn- : Latin ad-, ad- + Latin perceptiō, perception; see perception.]
ap′per·cep′tive (-sĕp′tĭv) adj.
1. (Psychology) the attainment of full awareness of a sensation or idea
2. (Psychology) the act or process of apperceiving
ap•per•cep•tion(ˌæp ərˈsɛp ʃən)
1. conscious perception.
2. the act or process of apperceiving.
[1745–55; (< French) < New Latin apperceptiō]