Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Something associated with another, more important thing; an accessory. See Synonyms at attachment.
2. appurtenances Equipment, such as clothing, tools, or instruments, used for a specific purpose or task; gear.
3. Law A right, privilege, or property that is considered incident to the principal property for purposes such as passage of title, conveyance, or inheritance.
[Middle English appurtenaunce, from Anglo-Norman apurtenance, from Vulgar Latin *appertinentia, from Late Latin appertinēns, appertinent-, present participle of appertinēre, to appertain; see appertain.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a secondary or less significant thing or part
2. (plural) accessories or equipment
3. (Law) property law a minor right, interest, or privilege which passes when the title to the principal property is transferred
[C14: from Anglo-French apurtenance, from Old French apartenance, from apartenir to appertain]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
ap•pur•te•nance(əˈpɜr tn əns)
1. something subordinate to another; adjunct.
2. a legal right, privilege, or improvement belonging to and passing with a principal property.
3. appurtenances, apparatus; accessories.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Anglo-French]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||appurtenance - equipment consisting of miscellaneous articles needed for a particular operation or sport etc.|
equipment - an instrumentality needed for an undertaking or to perform a service
regalia - paraphernalia indicative of royalty (or other high office)
rig - gear (including necessary machinery) for a particular enterprise
|2.||appurtenance - a supplementary component that improves capability|
auto accessory - an accessory for an automobile
constituent, element, component - an artifact that is one of the individual parts of which a composite entity is made up; especially a part that can be separated from or attached to a system; "spare components for cars"; "a component or constituent element of a system"
computer accessory - an accessory for a computer; "when you add in all the computer accessories you are going to need the computer gets pretty expensive"
fitting - a small and often standardized accessory to a larger system
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
appurtenance[əˈpɜːtɪnəns] N (= appendage) → dependencia f; (= accessory) → accesorio m
the house and its appurtenances → la casa con sus dependencias
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005