Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A shady resting place in a garden or park, often made of latticework on which plants such as climbing shrubs or vines are grown.
[Middle English herber, from Old French erbier, garden, from erbe, herb; see herb.]
1. An axis or shaft supporting a rotating part on a lathe.
2. A bar for supporting cutting tools.
3. A spindle of a wheel, as in watches and clocks.
4. pl. ar·bo·res (är′bə-rēz′) A tree, as opposed to a shrub.
[French arbre, from Latin arbor, tree.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Forestry) the US spelling of arbour
1. (Mechanical Engineering) a rotating shaft in a machine or power tool on which a milling cutter or grinding wheel is fitted
2. (Mechanical Engineering) a rotating shaft or mandrel on which a workpiece is fitted for machining
3. (Metallurgy) metallurgy a part, piece, or structure used to reinforce the core of a mould
[C17: from Latin: tree, mast]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a leafy, shady recess formed by tree branches, shrubs, etc.
2. a latticework bower intertwined with vines.
[1350–1400; Middle English (h)erber < Anglo-French, Old French (h)erbier herbarium]
a. a bar, shaft, or axis that holds, turns, or supports a rotating cutting tool or grinding wheel.
b. a beam, shaft, axle, or spindle.
[1650–60; < French, Old French < Latin arbor wooden beam, tree]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||arbor - tree (as opposed to shrub) |
tree - a tall perennial woody plant having a main trunk and branches forming a distinct elevated crown; includes both gymnosperms and angiosperms
|2.||arbor - any of various rotating shafts that serve as axes for larger rotating parts|
drive - (computer science) a device that writes data onto or reads data from a storage medium
|3.||arbor - a framework that supports climbing plants; "the arbor provided a shady resting place in the park"|
framework - a structure supporting or containing something
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.