Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to arbutus: Arbutus unedo
1. Any of various broad-leaved evergreen trees or shrubs of the genus Arbutus of the heath family, including the madrone and the strawberry tree, that are native chiefly to warm temperate regions of the Americas and Europe.
2. The trailing arbutus.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -tuses
1. (Plants) any of several temperate ericaceous shrubs of the genus Arbutus, esp the strawberry tree of S Europe. They have clusters of white or pinkish flowers, broad evergreen leaves, and strawberry-like berries
2. (Botany) any of several temperate ericaceous shrubs of the genus Arbutus, esp the strawberry tree of S Europe. They have clusters of white or pinkish flowers, broad evergreen leaves, and strawberry-like berries
3. (Plants) See trailing arbutus
[C16: from Latin; related to arbor tree]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -tus•es.
1. any evergreen tree or shrub of the genus Arbutus, of the heath family, esp. A. unedo, of S Europe, with scarlet berries.
[1545–55; < New Latin, Latin: the wild strawberry tree]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||arbutus - any of several evergreen shrubs of the genus Arbutus of temperate Europe and America|
genus Arbutus - large evergreen shrubs and trees of southern Europe and western North America: strawberry tree; madrona
Arbutus menziesii, madrona, madrono, manzanita - evergreen tree of the Pacific coast of North America having glossy leathery leaves and orange-red edible berries; wood used for furniture and bark for tanning
Arbutus unedo, Irish strawberry, strawberry tree - small evergreen European shrubby tree bearing many-seeded scarlet berries that are edible but bland; of Ireland, southern Europe, Asia Minor
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
arbutus[ɑːˈbjuːtəs] N → madroño m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n → Arbutus m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007