Arcadian(redirected from Arcadians)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
Related to Arcadians: Arcadie
1. Of or relating to the ancient Greek region of Arcadia or its people, language, or culture.
2. often arcadian Rustic, peaceful, and simple; pastoral: a country life of arcadian contentment.
1. A native or inhabitant of the ancient Greek region of Arcadia.
2. often arcadian One who leads or prefers a simple, rural life.
3. The dialect of ancient Greek used in Arcadia.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Poetry) of or relating to Arcadia or its inhabitants, esp the idealized Arcadia of pastoral poetry
2. (Placename) of or relating to Arcadia or its inhabitants, esp the idealized Arcadia of pastoral poetry
3. (Peoples) of or relating to Arcadia or its inhabitants, esp the idealized Arcadia of pastoral poetry
4. rustic or bucolic: a life of Arcadian simplicity.
5. (Peoples) an inhabitant of Arcadia
6. a person who leads or prefers a quiet simple rural life
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Ar•ca•di•an(ɑrˈkeɪ di ən)
1. of or pertaining to Arcadia.
2. suggesting simple, innocent contentment.n.
3. a native or inhabitant of Arcadia.
4. the dialect of ancient Greek spoken in Arcadia.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Arcadian - an inhabitant of Arcadia|
Arcadia - a department of Greece in the central Peloponnese
|Adj.||1.||arcadian - (used with regard to idealized country life) idyllically rustic; "a country life of arcadian contentment"; "a pleasant bucolic scene"; "charming in its pastoral setting"; "rustic tranquility"|
rural - living in or characteristic of farming or country life; "rural people"; "large rural households"; "unpaved rural roads"; "an economy that is basically rural"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
adj (lit, fig) → arkadisch
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
1. adj → arcadico/a
2. n → arcade m/f
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995