arcanum(redirected from arcanums)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
n. pl. ar·ca·na (-nə) or ar·ca·nums
1. A deep secret; a mystery.
2. often arcana Specialized knowledge or details unknown to or misunderstood by the average person: "a private-equity investor whose specialty was the arcana of the banking industry" (Andrew Ross Sorkin).
3. A secret essence or remedy; an elixir.
[Latin arcānum, from neuter of arcānus, secret; see arcane.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -na (-nə)
1. (sometimes plural) a profound secret or mystery known only to initiates
2. (Alchemy) a secret of nature sought by alchemists
[C16: from Latin; see arcane]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -na (-nə).
1. a secret accessible only to the few; mystery.
2. a powerful remedy; elixir.
[1590–1600; < Latin, neuter (used as n.) of arcānus arcane]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
a secret or mystery; carefully hidden knowledge. See also alchemy. — arcana, n. pi.See also: Knowledge
the secret of life; a great elixir or remedy sought by the alchemists. See also knowledge.See also: Alchemy
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||arcanum - information known only to a special group; "the secret of Cajun cooking"|
esoterica - secrets known only to an initiated minority
cabala, cabbala, cabbalah, kabala, kabbala, kabbalah, qabala, qabalah - an esoteric or occult matter resembling the Kabbalah that is traditionally secret
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.