arced(redirected from arcedly)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. Something shaped like a curve or arch: the vivid arc of a rainbow.
2. Mathematics A segment of a circle.
3. An electric arc.
4. Astronomy The apparent path of a celestial body as it rises above and falls below the horizon.
5. A progression of events suggesting narrative cohesion, especially one that rises to a climax and settles to a final conclusion.
intr.v. arced (ärkt), arc·ing (är′kĭng), arcs
1. To form an arc.
2. To move or seem to move in a curved path: the stars that arc across the sky.
[Middle English ark, from Old French arc, from Latin arcus.]
1. AIDS-related complex
2. American Red Cross
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||arced - forming or resembling an arch; "an arched ceiling"|
architecture - the discipline dealing with the principles of design and construction and ornamentation of fine buildings; "architecture and eloquence are mixed arts whose end is sometimes beauty and sometimes use"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.