Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. The wife or widow of an archduke.
2. A woman, especially an Austrian princess, holding an archduchy in her own right.
3. Used as a title for such a noblewoman.
[French archiduchesse, feminine of archiduc, archduke; see archduke.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the wife or widow of an archduke
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (since 1453) a princess of the Austrian imperial family, esp a daughter of the Austrian emperor
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the wife of an archduke.
2. a princess of the Austrian imperial family.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||archduchess - a wife or widow of an archduke or a princess of the former ruling house of Austria|
princess - a female member of a royal family other than the queen (especially the daughter of a sovereign)
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.