Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The lowermost part of an entablature in classical architecture, resting directly on top of the columns. Also called epistyle.
2. The molding around a door or window.
1. (Architecture) the lowest part of an entablature that bears on the columns
2. (Architecture) a moulding around a doorway, window opening, etc
[C16: via French from Italian, from archi- + trave beam, from Latin trabs]
1. the lowermost member of a classical entablature.
2. a molded or decorated band framing a panel or an opening, as of a door or window.
[1555–65; < Middle French < Italian]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||architrave - the molding around a door or window|
|2.||architrave - the lowest part of an entablature; rests immediately on the capitals of the columns|
entablature - (architecture) the structure consisting of the part of a classical temple above the columns between a capital and the roof
support - supporting structure that holds up or provides a foundation; "the statue stood on a marble support"