Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. A small sunken area allowing access or light and air to basement doors or windows.
2. An often narrow passageway between buildings.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a passageway between parts of a building or between different buildings
2. See area7
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
ar•e•a•way(ˈɛər i əˌweɪ)
1. a sunken area leading to a basement entrance or in front of basement windows.
2. a passageway, esp. between buildings.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.