Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A medieval kingdom of eastern and southeast France. It was formed in 933 and gradually split up after 1246.
2. A city of south-central France on the Rhone River delta. A flourishing city in Roman times, it is the site of many ancient remains, including a Roman cemetery and an arena built in the first century ad.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Arles(ɑːlz; French arl)
1. (Placename) a city in SE France, on the Rhône: Roman amphitheatre. Pop: 53 058 (2006)
2. (Placename) Kingdom of Arles a kingdom in SE France which had dissolved by 1378: known as the Kingdom of Burgundy until about 1200
3. (Historical Terms) Kingdom of Arles a kingdom in SE France which had dissolved by 1378: known as the Kingdom of Burgundy until about 1200
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
a city in SE France, on the Rhone River. 50,345.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.