Also found in: Wikipedia.
1. A medieval royal proclamation by which vassals were summoned to military service.
2. The vassals summoned.
1. (Historical Terms) (in medieval France) a summons to the king's vassals to do military service
2. (Military) (in medieval France) a summons to the king's vassals to do military service
3. (Historical Terms) the vassals so assembled for military service
4. (Military) the vassals so assembled for military service
[C16: changed from Old French herban call to arms, of Germanic origin; compare Old High German heriban, from heri army + ban summons, ban2]
ar•ri•ère-ban(ˈær i ɛrˈbæn, -ˈbɑ̃)
1. the summoning of the king's vassals for military service in medieval France.
2. the vassals summoned.
[1515–25; < French]