denture(redirected from artificial denture)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to artificial denture: false teeth
1. A partial or complete set of artificial teeth for either the upper or lower jaw. Also called dental plate.
2. often dentures A complete set of removable artificial teeth for both jaws.
[French, from Old French, from dent, tooth; see dentist.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n (usually plural)
1. (Dentistry) Also called: dental plate or false teeth a partial or full set of artificial teeth
2. (Dentistry) rare a set of natural teeth
[C19: from French, from dent tooth + -ure]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
den•ture(ˈdɛn tʃər, -tʃʊər)
1. an artificial replacement of one or more teeth.
2. Often dentures. a replacement of all the teeth of one or both jaws.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||denture - a dental appliance that artificially replaces missing teeth|
dental appliance - a device to repair teeth or replace missing teeth
false teeth - a removable denture
partial denture - a denture replacing one or more teeth in a dental arch
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n. dentadura, prótesis; [artificial] dentadura postiza;
___ plates → ___ parcial, pop. plancha dental.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
denturen protesis f dental (form), dientes postizos, dentadura postiza
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.