Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
Related to ascendible: descendible
v. as·cend·ed, as·cend·ing, as·cends
1. To go or move upward; rise: The balloon ascended into the clouds. See Synonyms at rise.
2. To slope upward: The trail ascends to an outcrop overlooking the valley.
3. To rise from a lower level or station; advance: ascended from poverty to great wealth; ascend to the throne.
4. To go back in time or upward in genealogical succession.
1. To move upward upon or along; climb: ascended the mountain.
2. To slope upward toward or along: The road ascends the ridge.
3. To succeed to; occupy: ascended the throne upon the death of her father.
[Middle English ascenden, from Old French ascendre, from Latin ascendere : ad-, ad- + scandere, to climb; see skand- in Indo-European roots.]
as·cend′a·ble, as·cend′i·ble adj.