Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. Any of several chiefly Mediterranean plants of the genera Asphodeline and Asphodelus, having linear leaves and elongate clusters of white, pink, or yellow flowers.
b. Any of several other plants, such as the bog asphodel.
2. In Greek poetry and mythology, the flowers of Hades and the dead, sacred to Persephone.
3. In early English and French poetry, the daffodil.
[Latin asphodelus, from Greek asphodelos.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) any of various S European liliaceous plants of the genera Asphodelus and Asphodeline, having clusters of white or yellow flowers. Compare bog asphodel
2. (Plants) any of various other plants, such as the daffodil
3. (Plants) an unidentified flower of Greek legend, probably a narcissus, said to cover the Elysian fields
4. (Classical Myth & Legend) an unidentified flower of Greek legend, probably a narcissus, said to cover the Elysian fields
[C16: from Latin asphodelus, from Greek asphodelos, of obscure origin]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. any of various S European plants of the genera Asphodelus and Asphodeline, of the lily family, having white, pink, or yellow flowers in elongated clusters.
2. any of various similar plants, as the daffodil.
[1590–1600; < Latin asphodelus < Greek asphódelos. compare daffodil]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||asphodel - any of various chiefly Mediterranean plants of the genera Asphodeline and Asphodelus having linear leaves and racemes of white or pink or yellow flowers|
family Liliaceae, Liliaceae, lily family - includes species sometimes divided among the following families: Alliaceae; Aloeaceae; Alstroemeriaceae; Aphyllanthaceae; Asparagaceae; Asphodelaceae; Colchicaceae; Convallariaceae; Hemerocallidaceae; Hostaceae; Hyacinthaceae; Melanthiaceae; Ruscaceae; Smilacaceae; Tecophilaeacea; Xanthorrhoeaceae
liliaceous plant - plant growing from a bulb or corm or rhizome or tuber
Jacob's rod - asphodel having erect smooth unbranched stem either flexuous or straight
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.