assignable(redirected from assignablely)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal.
Related to assignablely: assignable cause
tr.v. as·signed, as·sign·ing, as·signs
1. To select for a duty or office; appoint: firefighters assigned to the city's industrial park. See Synonyms at appoint.
2. To set apart for a particular purpose or place in a particular category; designate: assigned the new species to an existing genus. See Synonyms at allocate.
3. To give out as a task; allot: assigned homework to the class.
4. To ascribe; attribute: assigned blame for the loss to a lack of good defense. See Synonyms at attribute.
5. To match or pair with: assign a value to each of the variables.
6. Law To transfer (property, rights, or interests) from one to another.
[Middle English assignen, from Old French assigner, from Latin assignāre : ad-, ad- + signāre, to mark (from signum, sign; see sekw- in Indo-European roots).]