Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. The act of associating or being connected with: My parents disapproved of my association with my friends from across town.
2. An organized body of people who have an interest, activity, or purpose in common; a society.
a. A mental connection or relation between thoughts, feelings, ideas, or sensations: My therapist helped me examine my association of food with comfort.
b. The act of expressing a link or connection between two things: "The media's association of visa overstayers with illegality is so strong and common as to shape public attitudes towards them" (Junya Morooka).
4. A correlation or causal connection: There is a definite association of exercise with improved health.
5. Chemistry Any of various processes of combination, such as hydration, solvation, or complex-ion formation, depending on relatively weak chemical bonding.
6. Ecology A large number of organisms in a specific geographic area constituting a community with one or two dominant species.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
relating to association or alliance or an association, alliance or affiliation
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014