Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
aster-(word root) star
Examples of words with the root aster-: asteroid
1. Any of various plants of the genus Aster or closely related genera in the composite family, having radiate flower heads with white, pink, or violet rays and usually a yellow disk.
2. The China aster.
3. Biology A star-shaped structure formed in the cytoplasm of an animal cell during mitosis, having raylike microtubules that surround the centrosome.
1. (Plants) any plant of the genus Aster, having white, blue, purple, or pink daisy-like flowers: family Asteraceae (composites). Compare golden aster
2. (Plants) China aster a related Chinese plant, Callistephus chinensis, widely cultivated for its showy brightly coloured flowers
3. (Biology) cytology a group of radiating microtubules that surrounds the centrosome before and during mitosis
[C18: from New Latin, from Latin aster star, from Greek]
1. any composite plant of the genus Aster, having rays varying from white or pink to blue around a yellow disk.
2. a plant of some allied genus, as the China aster.
3. a structure formed in a cell during mitosis, composed of astral rays radiating about the centrosome.
[1595–1605; < Latin < Greek astḗr star]
a suffix used to form nouns denoting something that imperfectly resembles or mimics the true thing: criticaster; poetaster.
a combining form with the meaning “star”: cotoneaster.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||aster - any of various chiefly fall-blooming herbs of the genus Aster with showy daisylike flowers|
flower - a plant cultivated for its blooms or blossoms
genus Aster - large genus of herbs widely cultivated for their daisylike flowers
wood aster - any of several asters of eastern North America usually growing in woods
Aster acuminatus, whorled aster - North American perennial with apparently whorled leaves and showy white purple-tinged flowers
Aster arenosus, heath aster - common North American perennial with heathlike foliage and small white flower heads
Aster dumosus, bushy aster - stiff perennial of the eastern United States having small linear leaves and numerous tiny white flower heads
Aster ericoides, heath aster - common much-branched North American perennial with heathlike foliage and small starry white flowers
Aster linarifolius, stiff aster - wiry tufted perennial of the eastern United States with stiff erect rough stems, linear leaves and large violet flowers
Aster linosyris, goldilocks, goldilocks aster, Linosyris vulgaris - early-flowering perennial of southern and southeastern Europe with flower heads resembling those of goldenrod
Aster novae-angliae, New England aster - common perennial of eastern North America having showy purplish flowers; a parent of the Michaelmas daisy
Aster novi-belgii, Michaelmas daisy, New York aster - North American perennial herb having small autumn-blooming purple or pink or white flowers; widely naturalized in Europe
Aster ptarmicoides, upland white aster - tufted rigid North American perennial with loose clusters of white flowers
Aster turbinellis, prairie aster - violet-flowered perennial aster of central United States having solitary heads
annual salt-marsh aster - a variety of aster
aromatic aster - a variety of aster
arrow leaved aster - a variety of aster
azure aster - a variety of aster
bog aster - a variety of aster
crooked-stemmed aster - a variety of aster
Eastern silvery aster - a variety of aster
flat-topped white aster - a variety of aster
late purple aster - a variety of aster
panicled aster - a variety of aster
perennial salt marsh aster - a variety of aster
purple-stemmed aster - a variety of aster
rough-leaved aster - a variety of aster
rush aster - a variety of aster
Schreiber's aster - a variety of aster
small white aster - a variety of aster
smooth aster - a variety of aster
southern aster - a variety of aster
tradescant's aster - a variety of aster
wavy-leaved aster - a variety of aster
Western silvery aster - a variety of aster
willow aster - a variety of aster
|2.||aster - star-shaped structure formed in the cytoplasm of a cell having fibers like rays that surround the centrosome during mitosis|