Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
adv. & adj. Nautical
1. Behind a vessel.
2. At or to the stern of a vessel.
3. With or having the stern foremost; backward.
adv, adj (postpositive)
1. (Nautical Terms) at or towards the stern
2. (Nautical Terms) with the stern first: full speed astern!.
3. (Nautical Terms) aft of the stern of a vessel
1. in a position behind a specified vessel or aircraft.
2. in a backward direction.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adv.||1.||astern - stern foremost or backward; "the steamer went astern at half speed"|
|2.||astern - at or near or toward the stern of a ship or tail of an airplane; "stow the luggage aft"; "ships with square sails sail fairly efficiently with the wind abaft"; "the captain looked astern to see what the fuss was about"|
|3.||astern - (of a ship or an airplane) behind; "we dropped her astern on the end of a seven-inch manilla, and she laid comfortably on the ebb tide"|
aeroplane, airplane, plane - an aircraft that has a fixed wing and is powered by propellers or jets; "the flight was delayed due to trouble with the airplane"
ship - a vessel that carries passengers or freight