Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A narrow convex molding often having the form of beading.
1. (Architecture) architect
a. Also called: bead a small convex moulding, usually with a semicircular cross section
b. a moulding having the form of a string of beads
2. (Furniture) carpentry a glazing bar, esp in a bookcase
3. (Anatomy) anatomy the ankle or anklebone
[C17: from Latin astragalus, from Greek astragalos anklebone, hence, small round moulding]
as•tra•gal(ˈæs trə gəl)
1. a small convex molding cut into the form of a string of beads. Compare bead and reel.
2. a plain convex molding; bead.
3. a molding attached to one or both meeting stiles of a pair of double doors in order to prevent drafts.
[1555–65; < Latin astragalus < Greek astrágalos a vertebra, molding]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||astragal - the bone in the ankle that articulates with the leg bones to form the ankle joint|
|2.||astragal - a beaded molding for edging or decorating furniture|