Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Variant of ad-..
at1(æt; unstressed ət, ɪt)
1. (used to indicate a point or place occupied in space); in, on, or near: to stand at the door.
2. (used to indicate a location or position, as in time, on a scale, or in order): at age 65; at zero; at the end.
3. (used to indicate incidence or occurrence): at the sound of the bell; at low tide.
4. (used to indicate presence or location): at home; at hand.
5. (used to indicate amount, degree, or rate): at great speed; at high altitudes.
6. (used to indicate a direction, goal, or objective); toward: Look at that.
7. (used to indicate occupation or involvement): at work; at play.
8. (used to indicate a state or condition): at ease; at peace.
9. (used to indicate a cause or source): She was annoyed at their carelessness.
10. (used to indicate relative quality or value): at one's best; at cost.
[before 900; Middle English; Old English æt, c. Old Frisian et, Old Saxon, Old Norse, Gothic at, Old High German az, Latin ad]
n., pl. at.
a monetary unit of Laos, equal to 1/100 of a kip.
[1950–55; < Lao; ultimately < Pali aṭṭha eight]
var. of ad- before t: attend.
1. achievement test.