Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to athenaeum: atheneum
ath·e·nae·umalso ath·e·ne·um (ăth′ə-nē′əm)
1. An institution, such as a literary club or scientific academy, for the promotion of learning.
2. A place, such as a library, where printed materials are available for reading.
[Late Latin Athēnaeum, a Roman school, after Greek Athēnaion, the temple of Athena, from Athēna, Athena.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Education) an institution for the promotion of learning
2. (Education) a building containing a reading room or library, esp one used by such an institution
[C18: from Late Latin, from Greek Athēnaion temple of Athene, frequented by poets and teachers]
1. (Historical Terms) (in ancient Greece) a building sacred to the goddess Athena, esp the Athenian temple that served as a gathering place for the learned
2. (Historical Terms) (in imperial Rome) the academy of learning established near the Forum in about 135 ad by Hadrian
3. (Named Buildings) (in imperial Rome) the academy of learning established near the Forum in about 135 ad by Hadrian
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
or ath•e•ne•um(ˌæθ əˈni əm, -ˈneɪ-)
1. an institution for the promotion of literary or scientific learning.
2. a free library or reading room maintained by such an institution.
[1720–30; < Latin < Greek Athḗnaion temple of Athena, where poets read their works]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
athenaeum- Can refer to "an association of persons interested in scientific and literary pursuits, meeting for the purpose of mutual improvement," or a reading room or library.
See also related terms for interested.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||athenaeum - a literary or scientific association for the promotion of learning|
|2.||athenaeum - a place where reading materials are available|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.