Also found in: Medical, Wikipedia.
Related to atman: Dharma
1. The individual soul or essence.
2. Atman The essence that is eternal, unchanging, and indistinguishable from the essence of the universe.
[Sanskrit ātmā, ātman-, breath, spirit.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Hinduism) the personal soul or self; the thinking principle as manifested in consciousness
2. (Hinduism) Brahman considered as the Universal Soul, the great Self or Person that dwells in the entire created order
[from Sanskrit ātman breath; compare Old High German ātum breath]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the individual self, known after enlightenment to be identical with Brahman.
2. (cap.) the world soul, from which all individual souls derive and to which they return.
[1775–85; < Skt ātman breath, self]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. The essence or principle of life; reality in individual forms.
2. The divine cosmic principle of the monad.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited