atomic mass unit


Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to atomic mass unit: relative atomic mass, atomic weight

atomic mass unit

n. Abbr. amu
A unit of mass equal to 1/12 the mass of the most abundant isotope of carbon, carbon-12, which is assigned a mass of 12. Also called dalton.

atomic mass unit

n
(Units) a unit of mass used to express atomic and molecular weights that is equal to one twelfth of the mass of an atom of carbon-12. It is equivalent to 1.66 × 10–27 kg. Abbreviation: amu Also called: unified atomic mass unit or dalton

atom′ic mass′ u′nit


n.
a unit of mass, equal to 1/12 the mass of the carbon-12 atom and used to express the mass of atomic and subatomic particles.
Also called dalton.
[1950–55]

atomic mass unit

A unit of mass equal to 1/12 the mass of an atom of the most common isotope of carbon (carbon 12), which is assigned a mass of 12. A hydrogen atom has a mass of 1 atomic mass unit since its mass is 1/12 the mass of carbon 12.

atomic mass unit

(amu)
ThesaurusAntonymsRelated WordsSynonymsLegend:
Noun1.atomic mass unit - unit of mass for expressing masses of atoms or molecules
mass unit - a unit of measurement for mass
Translations
unidade de massa atômica
References in periodicals archive ?
Step 3: The relationship between Avogadro's number, atomic mass unit and mass was explained in the following way: It was determined experimentally that there are as many [sup.
Of this amount, 30 atomic mass units (40% of the total) will be lost during decomposition while the other 60% will remain.
The mass of the observed "nanograins" ranges from a few hundred to a few tens of thousands of atomic mass units (proton masses), and must therefore contain tens to thousands of water molecules bound together.