Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
tr.v. at·om·ized, at·om·iz·ing, at·om·iz·es
1. To reduce to or separate into atoms.
2. To reduce to tiny particles or a fine spray.
3. To break into small fragments.
4. To subject to bombardment with atomic weapons.
at′om·i·za′tion (-ĭ-zā′shən) n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Atomic Physics) to separate or be separated into free atoms
2. (General Physics) to reduce (a liquid or solid) to fine particles or spray or (of a liquid or solid) to be reduced in this way
3. (Military) (tr) to destroy by weapons, esp nuclear weapons
ˌatomiˈzation, ˌatomiˈsation n
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
v.t. -ized, -iz•ing.
1. to reduce to fine particles or spray.
2. to destroy (a target) by bombing, esp. with an atomic bomb.
3. to split into many sections, groups, factions, etc.; fragmentize.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: atomized
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||atomize - spray very finely; "atomize perfume"|
spray - scatter in a mass or jet of droplets; "spray water on someone"; "spray paint on the wall"
|2.||atomize - strike at with firepower or bombs; "zap the enemy"|
|3.||atomize - break up into small particles; "the fine powder had been atomized by air"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
vt liquid → zerstäuben
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
atomize[ˈætəmaɪz] vt (all senses) → atomizzare
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995