Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to atonement: Day of Atonement
1. Amends or reparation made for an injury or wrong; expiation.
a. Judaism An individual's reconciliation with God by means of repentance and confession of one's transgressions.
b. Atonement Christianity The reconciliation of God and humans brought about by the redemptive life and death of Jesus.
3. Obsolete Reconciliation; concord.
1. satisfaction, reparation, or expiation given for an injury or wrong
2. (Theology) (often capital) Christian theol
a. the reconciliation of man with God through the life, sufferings, and sacrificial death of Christ
b. the sufferings and death of Christ
3. (Theology) Christian Science the state in which the attributes of God are exemplified in man
4. obsolete reconciliation or agreement
[C16: from Middle English phrase at onement in harmony]
1. satisfaction or reparation for a wrong or injury; amends.
2. (sometimes cap.) the Christian doctrine that the reconciliation of God and humankind will be accomplished through Christ.
3. (in Christian Science) the state in which humankind exemplifies the attributes of Christ.
4. Archaic. reconciliation; agreement.
[1505–15; from phrase at one in harmony + -ment]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||atonement - compensation for a wrong; "we were unable to get satisfaction from the local store"|
|2.||atonement - the act of atoning for sin or wrongdoing (especially appeasing a deity)|