Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to attaché: cultural attache
1. A person officially assigned to the staff of a diplomatic mission to serve in a particular capacity: a cultural attaché; a military attaché.
2. An attaché case.
[French, from past participle of attacher, to attach, from Old French attachier; see attach.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
attaché(əˈtæʃeɪ; French ataʃe)
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a specialist attached to a diplomatic mission: military attaché.
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) Brit a junior member of the staff of an embassy or legation
[C19: from French: someone attached (to a mission), from attacher to attach]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
at•ta•ché(æ tæˈʃeɪ, ˌæt ə-; esp. Brit. əˈtæʃ eɪ)
n., pl. -chés.
1. a diplomatic official or a military officer assigned to an embassy or legation in a foreign country, esp. in a technical capacity.
2. Also, at`ta•che′. attaché case.
[1825–35; < French: past participle of attacher to attach]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||attache - a specialist assigned to the staff of a diplomatic mission|
diplomatic mission - a mission serving diplomatic ends
cultural attache - an attache who is a specialist in cultural matters
military attache - an attache who is a specialist in military matters
|2.||attache - a shallow and rectangular briefcase|
briefcase - a case with a handle; for carrying papers or files or books
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Attaché m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995