Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to attaché: cultural attache
1. A person officially assigned to the staff of a diplomatic mission to serve in a particular capacity: a cultural attaché; a military attaché.
2. An attaché case.
[French, from past participle of attacher, to attach, from Old French attachier; see attach.]
attaché(əˈtæʃeɪ; French ataʃe)
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a specialist attached to a diplomatic mission: military attaché.
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) Brit a junior member of the staff of an embassy or legation
[C19: from French: someone attached (to a mission), from attacher to attach]
at•ta•ché(æ tæˈʃeɪ, ˌæt ə-; esp. Brit. əˈtæʃ eɪ)
n., pl. -chés.
1. a diplomatic official or a military officer assigned to an embassy or legation in a foreign country, esp. in a technical capacity.
2. Also, at`ta•che′. attaché case.
[1825–35; < French: past participle of attacher to attach]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||attache - a specialist assigned to the staff of a diplomatic mission|
diplomatic mission - a mission serving diplomatic ends
cultural attache - an attache who is a specialist in cultural matters
military attache - an attache who is a specialist in military matters
|2.||attache - a shallow and rectangular briefcase|
briefcase - a case with a handle; for carrying papers or files or books
n → Attaché m