attenuated(redirected from attenuatedly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
Related to attenuatedly: Attenuated total reflectance
v. at·ten·u·at·ed, at·ten·u·at·ing, at·ten·u·ates
1. To make slender, fine, or small: The drought attenuated the river to a narrow channel.
2. To reduce in force, value, amount, or degree; weaken: Medicine attenuated the fever's effect.
3. To lessen the density of; rarefy.
4. Biology To make (bacteria or viruses) less virulent.
5. Electronics To reduce (the amplitude of an electrical signal) with little or no distortion.
To become thin, weak, or fine.
1. Reduced or weakened, as in strength, value, or virulence.
2. Botany Gradually tapering to a slender point.
[Latin attenuāre, attenuāt- : ad-, ad- + tenuāre, to make thin (from tenuis, thin; see ten- in Indo-European roots).]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||attenuated - of an electrical signal; reduced in amplitude with little or no distortion|
electronics - the branch of physics that deals with the emission and effects of electrons and with the use of electronic devices
|2.||attenuated - reduced in strength; "the faded tones of an old recording"|
1. slender, extended, thinned, slimmed, refined, stretched out, lengthened, drawn out, spun out, elongated, rarefied rounded arches and attenuated columns