Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
aus·tra·lo·pith·e·cine(ô-strā′lō-pĭth′ĭ-sēn′, -sīn′, ô′strə-lə-)
[New Latin Austrālopithēcus, genus name, -ine.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Anthropology & Ethnology) any of various extinct apelike primates of the genus Australopithecus and related genera, remains of which have been discovered in southern and E Africa. Some species are estimated to be over 4.5 million years old. See also zinjanthropus
2. (Zoology) any of various extinct apelike primates of the genus Australopithecus and related genera, remains of which have been discovered in southern and E Africa. Some species are estimated to be over 4.5 million years old. See also zinjanthropus
3. (Anthropology & Ethnology) of or relating to any of these primates
4. (Zoology) of or relating to any of these primates
[C20: from New Latin Australopithecus, from Latin austrālis southern, austral1 + Greek pithēkos ape]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
aus•tra•lo•pith•e•cine(ɔˌstreɪ loʊˈpɪθ əˌsin, -ˌsaɪn, -pəˈθi sɪn, -ˌsaɪn, ˌɔ strə-)
1. (sometimes cap.) a member of the genus Australopithecus.adj.
2. of, pertaining to, or resembling the genus Australopithecus or its members.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Any of several early hominids of eastern and southern Africa, known from fossils dating from about four million to about one million years ago. The most complete australopithecine skeleton found so far, named Lucy by its discoverers, is estimated to be just over three million years old. While many scientists believe that australopithecines are ancestors of modern humans, not enough fossils have yet been found to establish any direct descent.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||australopithecine - any of several extinct humanlike bipedal primates with relatively small brains of the genus Australopithecus; from 1 to 4 million years ago|
hominid - a primate of the family Hominidae
Australopithecus afarensis - fossils found in Ethiopia; from 3.5 to 4 million years ago
Australopithecus africanus - gracile hominid of southern Africa; from about 3 million years ago
Australopithecus boisei - large-toothed hominid of eastern Africa; from 1 to 2 million years ago
Australopithecus robustus - large-toothed hominid of southern Africa; from 1.5 to 2 million years ago; formerly Paranthropus
|Adj.||1.||australopithecine - of or belonging to the hominid genus Australopithecus|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.