Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. au·to·bus·es or au·to·bus·ses
A motorcoach; a bus.
a motor vehicle which can carry a large group of passengers
n., pl. bus•es, bus•ses, n.
1. a large, long-bodied motor vehicle equipped with seating for passengers, usu. operating as part of a scheduled service.
2. a similar horse-drawn vehicle.
3. a passenger automobile or airplane used in a manner resembling that of a bus.
4. a heavy bar of copper or other conducting material, used to collect, carry, and distribute powerful electric currents.
5. a circuit that connects the CPU with other devices in a computer.v.t.
6. to convey or transport by bus.
7. to transport (pupils) to school by bus, esp. as a means of achieving racial integration.v.i.
8. to travel on or by means of a bus.
[1825–35; short for omnibus]
v.i., v.t. bused bussed, bus•ing bus•sing.
to work as a busboy or busgirl.
[1885–90; back formation from busboy]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||autobus - a vehicle carrying many passengers; used for public transport; "he always rode the bus to work"|
minibus - a light bus (4 to 10 passengers)
public transport - conveyance for passengers or mail or freight
roof - protective covering on top of a motor vehicle
school bus - a bus used to transport children to or from school
trackless trolley, trolley coach, trolleybus - a passenger bus with an electric motor that draws power from overhead wires
window - a transparent opening in a vehicle that allow vision out of the sides or back; usually is capable of being opened
fleet - group of motor vehicles operating together under the same ownership