Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A strong, pressurized, steam-heated vessel, as for laboratory experiments, sterilization, or cooking.
[French : Greek auto-, auto- + Latin clāvis, key (from the fact that it is self-locking from the pressurization).]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Chemistry) a strong sealed vessel used for chemical reactions at high pressure
2. (Medicine) an apparatus for sterilizing objects (esp surgical instruments) or for cooking by means of steam under pressure
3. (Cookery) an apparatus for sterilizing objects (esp surgical instruments) or for cooking by means of steam under pressure
4. (Civil Engineering) civil engineering a vessel in which freshly cast concrete or sand-lime bricks are cured very rapidly in high-pressure steam
(tr) to put in or subject to the action of an autoclave
[C19: from French auto- + -clave, from Latin clāvis key]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., v. -claved, -clav•ing. n.
1. a heavy vessel for sterilizing or cooking by means of steam under pressure.
2. a heavy vessel for conducting chemical reactions under high pressure.v.t.
3. to place in an autoclave.
[1875–80; < French, =auto- auto-1 + clave < Latin clāv-, s. of clāvis key and clāvus nail]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: autoclaved
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||autoclave - a device for heating substances above their boiling point; used to manufacture chemicals or to sterilize surgical instruments|
digester - autoclave consisting of a vessel in which plant or animal materials are digested
pressure cooker - autoclave for cooking at temperatures above the boiling point of water
vessel - an object used as a container (especially for liquids)
|Verb||1.||autoclave - subject to the action of an autoclave|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.