Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Giving assistance or support; helping.
2. Acting as a subsidiary; supplementary: the main library and its auxiliary branches.
3. Held in or used as a reserve: auxiliary troops; an auxiliary power generator.
4. Nautical Equipped with a motor as well as sails.
5. Grammar Of, relating to, or being an auxiliary verb.
n. pl. aux·il·ia·ries
1. An individual or group that assists or functions in a supporting capacity: a volunteers' auxiliary at a hospital.
2. A member of a foreign body of troops serving a country in war.
3. Grammar An auxiliary verb.
a. A sailing vessel equipped with a motor.
b. A vessel, such as a supply ship or a tug, that is designed for and used in instances and services other than combat.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Military) foreign or allied troops serving another nation; mercenaries
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014