Also found in: Wikipedia.
axe·manor ax·man (ăks′mən)
n. pl axe·men or ax·men (ăks′mĕn′)
1. One who wields an axe.
2. Slang One assigned to perform a task involving ruthless reduction, as of a workforce or budget.
3. Slang One who plays a guitar or saxophone, especially in a band or for hire.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -men
1. a man who wields an axe, esp to cut down trees
2. a person who makes cuts in expenditure or services, esp on behalf of another: the chancellor's axeman.
3. (Pop Music) slang US a man who plays a musical instrument, esp a guitar
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014