Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Plural of axis.
Plural of axe.
the plural of axis1
the plural of axe
n., pl. ax•es (ˈæk siz)
1. the line about which a rotating body, such as the earth, turns.
a. a central line that bisects a two-dimensional body or figure.
b. a line about which a three-dimensional body or figure is symmetrical.
c. any line used as a fixed reference for determining the position of a point or series of points, as the x- or y-axis in a system of Cartesian coordinates.
a. a central or principal structure about which something turns or is arranged: the skeletal axis.
b. the second cervical vertebra.
a. the main support of a plant; the stem and root.
b. the main support of an inflorescence.
5. an imaginary line, in a given formal structure, about which a form, area, or plane is organized.
6. the Axis, (in World War II) the nations that fought against the Allies: Germany, Italy, Japan, and others.
7. an alliance of two or more nations to coordinate their foreign and military policies.
8. a principal line of development, movement, etc.
[1540–50; < Latin axis an axletree, axle, axis; Greek áxōn, Sktákṣas]