back-pedal(redirected from back-pedals)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
vb (intr) , -pedals, -pedalling or -pedalled, -pedals, -pedaling or -pedaled
1. (Cycle Racing) to turn the pedals of a bicycle backwards
2. to retract or modify a previous opinion, principle, etc
3. (Boxing) boxing to take backward steps
v.i. -ped•aled, -ped•al•ing (esp. Brit.) -ped•alled, -ped•al•ling.
1. to retard the forward motion of a bicycle by pressing backward on the pedal.
2. to retreat from or reverse one's previous stand on a matter.
3. to make quick steps backward, as in retreating against a boxing opponent.
Past participle: back-pedalled
Switch to new thesaurus
1. backtrack, go back, reverse, reconsider, climb down, have second thoughts, change your mind, flip-flop (informal, chiefly U.S.), do a U-turn He appeared to back-pedal on that statement.