Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
tr.v. back·crossed, back·cross·ing, back·cross·es
To cross (a hybrid) with one of its parents or with an individual genetically identical to one of its parents.
1. The act of making such a cross.
2. An individual resulting from such a cross.
(Genetics) to mate (a hybrid of the first generation) with one of its parents
1. (Genetics) the offspring so produced
2. (Genetics) the act or process of backcrossing
1. to cross (a hybrid of the first generation) with either of its parents.n.
2. an instance of such crossing.
Past participle: backcrossed
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||backcross - mate a hybrid of the first generation with one of its parents|