Also found in: Thesaurus.
a. The players stationed some distance behind the line of scrimmage: a team with a strong defensive backfield.
b. The positions filled by these players.
c. The area in which these players are positioned.
2. Sports The primarily defensive players on a soccer, field hockey, or Rugby team.
1. (American Football) the backfield (sometimes functioning as plural) the quarterback and running backs in a team
2. (American Football) the area behind the line of scrimmage from which the backfield begin each play
1. the members of a football team who, on offense, are stationed behind the linemen and, on defense, behind the linebackers.
2. their positions considered as a unit.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||backfield - the offensive football players who line up behind the linemen|
back - (American football) the position of a player on a football team who is stationed behind the line of scrimmage
formation - an arrangement of people or things acting as a unit; "a defensive formation"; "a formation of planes"