backhanded(redirected from backhandedly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms.
1. Sports Made with or using a backhand: a backhanded shot into the opponent's court.
2. Oblique or roundabout: "Maybe [avant-garde novels'] frustrating lack of plot is a backhanded tribute to plots" (Harvey Cox).
3. Having derogatory or insulting implications: "Everyone...said how wonderful, how glamorous she looked, but even that was a sort of backhanded compliment, with the unspoken addendum, for your age" (Freda Warrington).
1. (of a blow, shot, stroke, etc) performed with the arm moving across the body
2. double-edged; equivocal: a backhanded compliment.
3. (of handwriting) slanting to the left
4. (Knots) (of a rope) twisted in the opposite way to the normal right-handed direction
in a backhanded manner
1. performed with the back of the hand turned or facing forward: a backhanded stroke.
2. sloping in a downward direction from left to right: backhanded writing.
3. oblique or ambiguous in meaning: a backhanded compliment.adv.
4. with the hand across the body; backhand: He caught the ball backhanded.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||backhanded - (of racket strokes) made across the body with back of hand facing direction of stroke|
|2.||backhanded - roundabout or ambiguous; "attacks from that source amounted to a backhanded compliment to his integrity"; "a backhanded and dishonest way of reaching his goal"|
indirect - extended senses; not direct in manner or language or behavior or action; "making indirect but legitimate inquiries"; "an indirect insult"; "doubtless they had some indirect purpose in mind"; "though his methods are indirect they are not dishonest"; "known as a shady indirect fellow"