backlash(redirected from backlashes)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. A sudden or violent backward whipping motion.
2. An antagonistic reaction to a trend, development, or event: "As the backlash against divorce progressed, state legislatures ... called for a rollback of no-fault divorce laws and even for premarital waiting periods" (Walter Kirn).
3. A snarl formed in the part of a fishing line that is wound around the reel.
4. The play resulting from loose connections between gears or other mechanical elements.
1. (Mechanical Engineering) a reaction or recoil between interacting worn or badly fitting parts in a mechanism
2. (Mechanical Engineering) the play between parts
3. (Sociology) a sudden and adverse reaction, esp to a political or social development: a public backlash against the government is inevitable.
1. a sudden, forceful backward movement; recoil.
2. a strong negative reaction, as to some social or political change: a backlash by voters.
a. the difference between the thickness of a gear tooth and the width of the space between teeth in the mating gear, designed to allow room for lubricants, expansion, etc.
b. play or lost motion between loosely fitting machine parts.
4. a snarled line on the reel of a casting fisherman.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||backlash - a movement back from an impact|
|2.||backlash - an adverse reaction to some political or social occurrence; "there was a backlash of intolerance"|
reaction - doing something in opposition to another way of doing it that you don't like; "his style of painting was a reaction against cubism"
|Verb||1.||backlash - come back to the originator of an action with an undesired effect; "Your comments may backfire and cause you a lot of trouble"|
backlash[ˈbæklæʃ] n (= reaction) → réaction f violente
There will be a huge public backlash if the match is called off → Il va y avoir une réaction violente du public si le match est annulé.
The Government will face a backlash from unions → Le gouvernement devra faire face à une réaction violente des syndicats.
the anti-terrorist backlash following the attacks → la violente réaction antiterroriste à la suite des attaques
a backlash against sth → une réaction violente contre qch
backlash[ˈbækˌlæʃ] n (fig) → reazione f (violenta)