Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A rope or cable extending from the top of a mast aft to a vessel's side or stern to help support the mast.
2. A supporting device at or for the back of something else.
1. (Nautical Terms) nautical a stay leading aft from the upper part of a mast to the deck or stern
2. (Mechanical Engineering) machinery a supporting piece or arresting part
3. anything that supports or strengthens the back of something, such as leather covering the back seam of a shoe
any of various shrouds that reinforce a ship's masts against forward pull.
1. a supporting or checking piece in a mechanism.
2. a strip of leather at the back of a shoe, usu. serving as reinforcement.