Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A rope or cable extending from the top of a mast aft to a vessel's side or stern to help support the mast.
2. A supporting device at or for the back of something else.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Nautical Terms) nautical a stay leading aft from the upper part of a mast to the deck or stern
2. (Mechanical Engineering) machinery a supporting piece or arresting part
3. anything that supports or strengthens the back of something, such as leather covering the back seam of a shoe
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
any of various shrouds that reinforce a ship's masts against forward pull.
1. a supporting or checking piece in a mechanism.
2. a strip of leather at the back of a shoe, usu. serving as reinforcement.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.