Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A sword with only one cutting edge.
2. A one-handed fencing stick; a singlestick.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Arms & Armour (excluding Firearms)) another name for broadsword
2. (Arms & Armour (excluding Firearms)) Also called: backswordsman a person who uses the backsword
3. (Fencing) a fencing stick with a basket-like protective hilt
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
a sword with one edge sharpened.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||backsword - a stick used instead of a sword for fencing|
stick - an implement consisting of a length of wood; "he collected dry sticks for a campfire"; "the kid had a candied apple on a stick"
|2.||backsword - a sword with only one cutting edge|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.