backwoods(redirected from backwoodsly)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
pl.n. (used with a sing. or pl. verb)
1. Heavily wooded, uncultivated, thinly settled areas.
2. An area that is far from population centers or that is held to be culturally backward.
back′woods′y (-wo͝od′zē) adj.
1. (Forestry) chiefly US and Canadian partially cleared, sparsely populated forests
2. any remote sparsely populated place
3. (modifier) of, from, or like the backwoods
4. (modifier) uncouth; rustic
1. (often used with a sing. v.) wooded or partially uncleared and unsettled districts.
2. any remote or isolated area.adj.
3. of or pertaining to the backwoods.
4. unsophisticated; uncouth.Also, back′wood′, back′woods′y.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||backwoods - a remote and undeveloped area|