Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. An unimportant or insignificant thing; a trifle.
2. A short, light piece of verse or music.
3. A game played on an oblong table with a cue and nine balls.
[French, from Italian bagatella, diminutive of dialectal bagata, little property, possibly from Latin bāca, berry.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. something of little value or significance; trifle
2. (Games, other than specified) a board game in which balls are struck into holes, with pins as obstacles; pinball
3. (Billiards & Snooker) another name for bar billiards
4. (Classical Music) a short light piece of music, esp for piano
[C17: from French, from Italian bagattella, from (dialect) bagatta a little possession, from baga a possession, probably from Latin bāca berry]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. something of little value or importance; a trifle.
2. a game similar to billiards played on a board with holes on one end.
3. a short and light musical composition.
[1630–40; < French < Upper Italian bagat(t)ella, derivative of bagatta small possession]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
bagatelle- From French or Italian for "trick" or "trifle."
See also related terms for trifle.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||bagatelle - a light piece of music for piano|
|2.||bagatelle - something of little value or significance|
|3.||bagatelle - a table game in which short cues are used to knock balls into holes that are guarded by wooden pegs; penalties are incurred if the pegs are knocked over|
table game - a game that is played on a table
Britain, Great Britain, U.K., UK, United Kingdom, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - a monarchy in northwestern Europe occupying most of the British Isles; divided into England and Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland; `Great Britain' is often used loosely to refer to the United Kingdom
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. (= trifle) → bagatela f
2. (= board game) → bagatelle f
4. (Mus) → bagatela f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
(liter: = trifle) → Bagatelle f
(= game) → Tivoli nt
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007