Dutch oven(redirected from bake oven)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A large, heavy pot or kettle, usually of cast iron and with a tight lid, used for slow cooking.
2. A metal utensil open on one side and equipped with shelves, placed before an open fire for baking or roasting food.
3. A wall oven in which food is baked by means of preheated brick walls.
1. (Cookery) an iron or earthenware container with a cover used for stews, etc
2. (Cookery) a metal box, open in front, for cooking in front of an open fire
1. a large heavy pot, as of cast iron, with a close-fitting lid, used for pot roasts, stews, etc.
2. a metal utensil, open in front, for roasting before an open fire.
3. a brick oven in which the walls are preheated for cooking.
In the early part of the twentieth century, a straight-sided cast-iron cooking pot with a bail (to suspend over a fire if desired) and a tight-fitting flat lid. The lid had a raised edge so that if the oven were used for baking, coals could be heaped on it to make baking more uniform.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Dutch oven - an oven consisting of a metal box for cooking in front of a fire|
oven - kitchen appliance used for baking or roasting
|2.||Dutch oven - iron or earthenware cooking pot; used for stews|
pot - metal or earthenware cooking vessel that is usually round and deep; often has a handle and lid